Wednesday, August 27, 2014

What is the Flipped Classroom?

This year the district has put an emphasis on technology in the classroom In a few weeks, the 4th graders will be one to one with an iPad during school hours (1 iPad per student). This will open up many doors to our students, from engagement to differentiation. 

One of the ideas thrown out to me last year was the idea of The Flipped Classroom.  This is an idea that I have thought about for quite some time.  I am constantly brainstorming ideas of apps and sites I might use should I have the opportunity to flip my classroom. I learned a lot last year when piloting the flipped classroom idea and most importantly, the students learned a lot too. The results were exciting and the kids were on fire about math and technology.  What was once a worksheet that I sent home for a child to do, now became an opportunity to be  taught the concepts they would be learning the next day in class.  Another perk was that more time was freed up in class for the application of what we learned.  Here are some resources that may help you understand the concept of The Flipped Classroom and provide a glimpse into how teaching trends are being adapted to our technological age.

Students will be bringing home some information regarding the flipped classroom and what each student will need to make it possible. 

Last year we used Schoology as our platform for finding assignments, lesson videos and class discussions.  Students will have their own accounts and will learn how to navigate the site.  I will be using Educreations to make my online lessons the students will be assigned. 



Links to more info on the Flipped Classroom